Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
Results 1 to 10 of 26

Thread: ebay prices - insane: pair 515's went for $1026

  1. #1
    Senior Hostboard Member dhook17322's Avatar
    Join Date
    September 25th, 2003
    Posts
    176
    Follows
    0
    Following
    0
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)
    Some of these auctions are unbelievable. It really makes me wonder whether these people have more money than brains. Why would anyone pay such high prices for an old set that may have brittle cones and weak magnets (B's). The larger multicell horns are even worse. I guess things are worth what people will pay, not what makes sense.

    <font color="#FFFFFF" size="1">[ April 01, 2004 11:42 AM: Message edited by: Todd W. White ]</font>

  2. #2
    Inactive Member HiFiPlayer's Avatar
    Join Date
    March 16th, 2004
    Posts
    170
    Follows
    0
    Following
    0
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)
    It really a Ultra High Price. But I think that's not true. Cause I discovered too many Altec sellers( aji***, a*p30, *ltecspk, w*91 etc.)may be owned a lot of user ID to bid to their own items to intend to get a highest price. You can take a look that mostly is (0) bidder.

    Have you ever seen an item sold but re-listed again and again in short period? Because seller can make cancellation if the winner is himself, just an ID is others.

  3. #3
    Senior Hostboard Member Cal Weldon's Avatar
    Join Date
    January 17th, 2004
    Location
    British Columbia
    Posts
    648
    Follows
    0
    Following
    0
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)

    Wink

    Hi Dave,

    Maybe they were the gold plated versions forums

    I agree with HiFi about the ebay.

    Cal

  4. #4
    HB Forum Owner Todd W. White's Avatar
    Join Date
    December 5th, 2002
    Posts
    1,865
    Follows
    1
    Following
    0
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    6 Post(s)

    Post

    I have issued previous warnings about certain eBay sellers - be VERY careful who you buy from!!!!!

    Caveat Emptor!

  5. #5
    Senior Hostboard Member Cal Weldon's Avatar
    Join Date
    January 17th, 2004
    Location
    British Columbia
    Posts
    648
    Follows
    0
    Following
    0
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)

    Post

    Thank you Todd. It is always nice to know you are looking after us Altec lovers. For many of us are no more than babes in the woods.

    Happy Lansing,
    Cal

  6. #6
    Senior Hostboard Member dhook17322's Avatar
    Join Date
    September 25th, 2003
    Posts
    176
    Follows
    0
    Following
    0
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)

    Post

    And thanks also from me - that's one of the things I like about this board. Good advice from good people helps people like me from making dumb mistakes!

  7. #7
    Inactive Member MikeInNH's Avatar
    Join Date
    September 25th, 2003
    Posts
    269
    Follows
    0
    Following
    0
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)

    Post

    Originally posted by Dave H.:
    Some of these auctions are unbelievable. It really makes me wonder whether these people have more money than brains.
    <font size="2" face="Verdana, Helvetica, sans-serif">Many years ago I use to go to tool auctions. Table Saws and radial arm saws were ALWAYS the hottest ticket item. And they almost ALWAYS sold for MSRP or above MSRP...(and this is for a USED saw....NOT A NEW ONE).

    One auction in particular they had a Sears Craftsman tablesaw. It went for $1100. First off Craftsman tablesaws are NOT the best out there. I think saws like Delta or Mikita are better and more accurate. Second the exact same model that was currently selling at Sears (NOT ON SALE) was $150 LESS then what the final bid was. The guy who one the bid was standing right next to me. After it was over I told him that he could buy a new one at Sears for less then what he just bid.....Well.....This guy wouldn't hear it. He went into a Rant INSISTING that this saw sells for OVER $2000 and that he got a great deal....On the way home from the auction, I stopped at Sears to check. And I was right....The MSRP for that EXACT tablesaw was $150 LESS then what this IDIOT paid for it.....BUT it was now on sale for $200 LESS then MSRP...

    These people get it in their heads they are at a auction, so they MUST be getting a GREAT deal. They haven't a clue. I stopped going to these auctions. I just couldn't out bid an Idiot.

  8. #8
    Inactive Member HiFiPlayer's Avatar
    Join Date
    March 16th, 2004
    Posts
    170
    Follows
    0
    Following
    0
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)
    I believed those table saws are model 7 and model 9. Cause most used old things could up valuation. Especially those called #7, 8,9. Don?t you know? forums

    I think those pair of 515B should be modified with 4.5lbs AlniGOLD, even DiamondGold. Then the surround has jewels encrusted and looks like as Rolex Oyster. forums

    I have been save records for the auctions of Altec, JBL, EV and a more Hi End products. The conditions are in good to mint product?s average ended prices are: (From July 2003 to Feb 2004)
    811/511 horns. ??$80 to $120 depended on their conditions.
    But some sellers could sell out $150 - $200 every week.
    808 A?$130 to $150 depended on their conditions. Bad pair just $80 or below.
    But some sellers could sell out $200 or above.
    802C/D drivers?. $222 to $330. Some one could sell out $450.
    288B/C drivers?..$300 to $420. Hollywood (works) $630 to $650, 16H/G around $600. Some one could sell out a lot of 288K at $450 to $650 every week before.
    291-16A drivers?$190 to $230(mint condition). Some sellers could sell out $450 to $650.
    515B(As new and matched)?. $420 to $460. Some one sold few pairs out over $600.
    Some one sell out a single used 800 series symbiotic Diaphragm over $200. no DCR and spec provided.
    Some one had a pair of Jensen tweeters (looks like used for vehicle top of COP) was sold over $650. But relisted from other seller?s ID after 3days of an auction ended. (Provided same photos)
    EV T35, not 350 sold out over $400
    I just want to ask. Who will pay for?

    Just a Blah Blah Blah. forums

  9. #9
    Senior Hostboard Member Charles Chance's Avatar
    Join Date
    December 6th, 2002
    Posts
    120
    Follows
    0
    Following
    0
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)

    Post

    I have put a few Altec items on eBay and specified sell to USA only. I invariable get requests from, mostly Asia, asking if I will sell to them. Evidently, in Asia, Altec products are highly prized and some of the high prices I see, come from there.

    BTW, I'm not a bigot or anything, I just like to see our heritage stay at home.

  10. #10
    Inactive Member thevott's Avatar
    Join Date
    October 11th, 2003
    Posts
    91
    Follows
    0
    Following
    0
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)

    Post

    Its a crazy world! I routinely buy regional auction merchandise and resell it worldwide on ebay. It is, however, getting more difficult to purchase inventory lately as the number of 'auction goers who pay too much' seems to have increased steadily over the past year or so. For example, an item that I can sell for between $10 and $30 on the world-wide ebay market sells for $45-$60 at the local auction! Untested! Sometimes people don't even know exactly what they're bidding on! I can't compete with that. If this keeps up I'll have to get a job forums

    Is this a baby-boom phenomenon?

    MP

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •  
This forum has been viewed: 28131802 times.